Monday, March 16, 2015

Black and Gray X-Plus Quilt

I have another quilt finish to share with you all! 

My youngest sister, Mandi, has a birthday coming up in April and she requested a black/gray/white quilt. As much as I love wearing black and gray, I didn't have a lot of it in my fabric stash, so I had to start shopping around for the most economic way to get scraps. One of my Instagram friends (@leilagt) was kind enough to send me scraps from her stash for an amazing price! I also knew I wanted to try the X-Plus quilt pattern (re-sized to 12" finished blocks), so here is the final product. Drum roll please... 
Wes and I went exploring around back roads today and I kept my eyes peeled for some good photo shoot locations. As soon as I caught a glimpse of this rundown brick and wood building, I made him do a u-turn in the middle of the road to go back and take advantage of it. :)
I knew I wanted to add a pop of color, and this teal Doe fabric was so "me", I had to include it.
I got the backing fabric from IKEA for $5 a yard (can't beat that!) and my longarm quilter actually recommended using the aquamarine colored thread and I am SO happy with the results!
I usually like my quilt gifts to be total surprises for the recipient, but A) my sister had a hand in picking out the fabric and she saw some of my finished blocks when she came out to visit in January, and B) I literally could not wait to post pictures of the finished product. :)

I'm so happy I was able to finish this quilt on time. I recently started a job at Ace Hardware and I'm working 35-38 hours a week, so my quilting time has definitely become more rare and precious. But before you feel sorry for me, it's been great to have a reason to get out of the house AND my husband told me yesterday that my legs and abs have become more toned since I started working three weeks ago! (I guess standing and walking IS better than sitting around the house all day...) Haha. :) I hope everyone reading this is finding the time to enjoy their hobbies just like I am. Every time I finish a project, I am so excited to share it with my online quilting friends. :)

PS - I'm going to my first Modern Quilt Guild meeting tomorrow night in Philadelphia. I'm going to bring this quilt and my Cuzco Crossroads quilt for show and tell. Wish me luck!


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! I also love the quilting and backing on it. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did here. The teal border and outer ombre border transform this quilt into something truly special. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt and the pop of color is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessie! You have made so beautiful quilt and found just perfect background for the photos! I love this pattern, too and your Fabrics are wonderful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous!! Lovely photo shoot too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt was fabulous, and you found a great place to showcase it. Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! Well done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for your kind comments! When I had just the blocks done, I wasn't really "feeling" this quilt and just wanted to get it over with. But once I added the thin teal border and found that black ombre fabric in my stash (who knows WHY I even bought that so many months ago!), it really did transform into something special. :) All I have to do now is add a label and then I can send it off to my sister for her to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great quilt and I hope you had a great time at your first Modern Quilt Guild meeting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these colors together! And your use of the ombres is really effective!

    ReplyDelete