Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Trying To Be Cool

I finished this quilt in mid-August, so I don't know why I haven't posted about it until now! My husband's birthday was August 19th and we took four days off of work to go on a road trip up to Niagara Falls. On our way out, we stopped in Philadelphia and had our pictures taken by Autumn Kern. I found Autumn on Instagram and loved her style of photography. I thought it would be fun to commemorate his birthday and our almost-two-year anniversary with some pictures. 

As I started to brainstorm the setting for our photos, I knew I wanted to include a quilt somehow. This quilt began to formulate in my mind after I bought a fat quarter bundle of Kim Andersson’s Tidal Lace collection for Windham Fabrics. 
How's that for some inspiration??

I pulled some other complimentary fabrics out of my stash and started searching for a pattern. I wanted something with big blocks, both to accentuate the fabric and to speed up the assembly process (I was working with a deadline after all). I finally settled on the Stacked Squares pattern from Moda and used My Quilt Infatuation's cutting calculations so I could use fat quarters instead of a layer cake and jelly rolls.
I call this quilt "Trying To Be Cool" because I felt like this color pallette was really mellow and bohemian and as I was picking out fabrics, I was sort of thinking, "Would a really cool and hip person like this?" If the answer was yes, it went into the quilt. Don't ask me to explain the logic behind that one. Haha. :)

Here is the final product!
I pieced together some gray and blue-green fabrics for the backing. 
Overall, I'm really happy with how this quilt turned out! It has become a regular "couch quilt" in our house already and when it gets really cold this winter, the colors will remind me of summer. :)

Here are some pictures from our trip:
Watkins Glen State Park in New York state was BEAUTIFUL!! I liked it even better than Niagara Falls because you could walk around and through the waterfalls. They even had a great quilt shop in town called O'Susannah's Quilts and Gifts. I can't wait to go back!

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous quilt, and amazing photography!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a gorgeous quilt! The colors you chose are just perfect with this pattern.

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fabulous way to celebrate a birthday and almost anniversary. Photos are beautiful as if the fun quilt. Micki@2dogsstudio.us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very special, what a wonderful way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You chose the perfect pattern for your gorgeous fabrics! Thanks for sharing your amazing trip pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet and cool! Lovely quilt and photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw your quilt on Kelly's My Quilt Infatuation blog, and was immediately drawn to it. A great story behind it, too.

    ReplyDelete